Recommendations for the federal government of Canada in lieu of corona virus pandemic and economic crisis. Will they listen? I don’t know.
- Permit the purchase and sale of unused RRSP contribution room.
- Permit the direct tax deductibility of net capital losses up to a maximum of $25,000 per year.
- Rewrite usery laws prohibiting lenders from charging more that a seven per cent differential from the Bank of Canada overnight rate.
- Reassess affordability of Canada Child Benefit program.
- Expropriate treaty land deemed necessary for commercial development from which fair negotiations have failed.
- Proclaim jurisdiction over tide water ports with constitutional amendment if required.
- Assign able bodied unemployed men to environmental remediation projects.
- Improve service channels to Canadians via CRA and Service Canada.
- Impose and enforce director liability for environmental negligence.
- Responsibly incentivize investors interested in the development of our natural resources.
If any reader finds this list appropriate, do feel free to copy the items into a letter addressed to any Canadian politician you deem open minded.